Wednesday, April 18, 2012

What I've learned...so far...

Piper is a great teacher of many things... Our pursuits in agility began over 7 years ago. I had no idea how to train him. I had 2 BCs in agility prior to him who only obtained Novice level abilities and titles. I was hopeless as an agility trainer with Piper. But luckily, I found some people that helped me out, but didn't teach me a "system" of handling. Piper had the skills, but I had no idea what to do with them. I came from an obedience and freestyle background and agility handling really doesn't work like either of those activities.

When I was finally able to get into a handling class (Donna Rohaus/Agility CAPabilities), Piper was older and had been competing for a couple of years. He wasn't taught the APHS and to this day, although I try to use those principles, I mostly fly by the seat of my britches when he and I run together. He has gotten better at understanding specific cues, and I have gotten so much better at giving him information in a timely fashion. I find myself using a mix of handling, that we have worked out together. I often use Stuart Mah when I need to change his focus. But I primarily use Linda Mecklenberg's APHS, with our modifications. I have had to learn to adapt on courses and Piper requires that I absolutely work the WHOLE course. He isn't comfortable taking charge like Seeker, who was trained on APHS from the beginning. Seeker is much more forgiving of my mistakes. Piper takes my movement, cues and eye contact as Gospel and if I am too slow or off, things fall apart. I have learned from Stuart to just continue when a mistake is made during a run and to not go back and "fix it". With Piper, he can de-motivate easily if I put too much pressure on him. Most of all the mistakes are mine. So why should I make HIM fix it? He is just as happy running with me, Q or no Q.

Running two very different dogs has taught me many things... but mostly how to adapt and overcome. The boys have expanded my understanding and enjoyment of the sport they both so love. But there is always more to learn and I am a willing student.


No comments:

Post a Comment