Thursday, July 26, 2012

When failure isn't an option... or is it?

Piper by Cindy Noland
I recently finished Piper's PDCH (USDAA Performance Dog CHampionship) without much fanfare or celebration. It took a much shorter period of time than his ADCH (USDAA Agility Dog CHampionship) did to achieve. I seriously started pursuing it last September and we finished it on June 30th, 2012. I am very proud of him. This is our 5th championship, 2 in freestyle and 3 in agility.


Seeker by Cindy Noland
One accomplishment still eludes us. It seems easier for everyone else, but difficult for us. Piper and I need 3 QQs to complete his AKC MACH. Last weekend was a complete bust. It was mainly my fault, but the outcome was nevertheless the same. 0 for 6 for Piper. No QQs for Seeker either. It is doable... but some days, it seems like a feat that we will never accomplish. And yes, there is ego involved for me. While my agility friends and acquaintances are on multiple MACHs, I am struggling to complete MACH 1 on both boys. Sadly, it is easy for me to lose faith, even when I try so hard not to do so.

For Seeker, it is getting that last gamblers Q in USDAA for his ADCH and earning those last 8 QQs in AKC. He is younger, the pressure not as timely as it is for Piper. He is more consistent, yet a little more independent. He sometimes runs his own agenda which gets us both into trouble. I remember the days when he did everything momma told him. Those days are gone. As his confidence grew, he became faster and more independent. I remind him regularly on course that there is no "I" in "TEAM". But I love running him, because he keeps me on my toes. His joyful abandon is infectious.

I know that it should be completely about the journey, and not the destination. But that can be a difficult mantra when dogs much younger and with less experience are finishing their MACHs. One thing I do know is that the boys don't care about titles, ribbons or MACH bars. They care about playing the game with me. THAT is what it is about. Sometimes I need to step back and re-focus. Because when the boys are gone, none of their accomplishments will matter to anyone. What will matter is how much joy they always had when they played agility with me. That is what is important. Easier said then done? Not if I can help it...



No comments:

Post a Comment