Monday, September 2, 2013

Gearing up...

We will be attending the USDAA Cynosport World Games in October. It will be Piper's last National competition. He is entered as a veteran and I am hoping to make the Veterans Showcase with him. They take the top 3 dogs in each veteran jump height. We get to compete in the team events of snooker, gamblers, standard and jumpers. We compete for ourselves and not with a team. This takes a great deal of pressure off of us both, well mainly me.
Piper by M. Nicole Fischer
Quite honestly, unless I let the pressure get to me, Piper could care less. It is up to me to keep my cool and make sure he has the best time EVER!
 
For Seeker, my goals are a bit different. He IS on a team, a fun and even possibly, competitive team. "Bordering On Golden" is the team name and consists of a Golden Retriever (Canon & Sally Peters), another Border Collie (Kilo & Helen Kurz) and Seeker & me. He is also entered in Bialthlon, Grand Prix and Steeplechase quarterfinals. I would really like to make at least semifinals in those and I would really like to make a good showing in Biathlon with him. My goal in our team classes are to not get an E. We aren't the fastest team, but we are consistent.
Seeker by David Rice
Training is taking precedence right now for Seeker, with some for Piper. At 10 1/2, Piper's skills are what they are, for good or bad. As long as I am where I need to be, when I need to be there, we can't go wrong. I have been working on tricky weave entrances for them both and backsides, threadles and serpentine jumps combos. I love training the boys. They are like comfy jeans and a sweatshirt, always right and always comfortable.
 
This will be our first RV adventure, but hopefully not our last. We are fortunate enough to have a good friend that is allowing us to borrow hers for the trip to Tennessee. It isn't big, but I am hoping it is far better than commuting back and forth the entire time from a motel. Everything is right there, including showers and restrooms. I'm just hoping we aren't stuck WAY in the back, miles from everything. I, for one, am looking forward to the trip with the hubby and the dogs.
 
The girls will be going too and they will also get to have some fun. The National Canine Cancer Foundation will be there with their Lure-For-A-Cure, so the girls can blow off some steam chasing the bunny a couple times a day. Ceilidh loved this in 2010 when we went to Kentucky and she slept like a log every night. I think her and Gem will have a blast!
 
In preparation, I am getting the boys on dirt for a couple of CPE trials. Since they only get to run mostly on turf, this will be good for them. Especially since it is a low key venue for us, I am looking to get some good work out of them both. Seeker is also entered in a DAM tournament in September, another good warm-up for us.
 
As it is Piper's last national event, it may be Seeker's as well, depending on logistics. Next year's Cynosport will be in California, definitely not doable, so we will just have to see where they are in 2015. I did not try to qualify Seeker for AKC Nationals, even though they are relatively close. While I like AKC, I have to travel to do CPE and USDAA, so a decision had to be made. Finances won't allow doing it all. Plus, I really wanted to have money to spend at Cynosport! Eye on the prize!!!
 
I love going to these types of competition because I get to see the best of the best. It is truly an education. Back to work for me and the boys so we can do our very best too...


No comments:

Post a Comment