Monday, May 23, 2011

Meet Seeker!


Photo by Jack Powers Photography
 This beautiful black tri-color boy is Seeker, officially known as Applegarth's Quest For The Grail. Bred by Terri Florentino out of her Shebaa's Meg and Linda Husson's ADCH Merlynn Eclipse, Seeker was born on November 9, 2006. I wasn't sure if I wanted another puppy at that time as our late, great Duncan had just passed away in July 2006 from pancreatic cancer. But I put my name on the waiting list and waited... 8 beautiful puppies were born with a division of 4 girls and 4 boys. I had 2nd pick of the boys.

The loss of Duncan, my heart dog, had sent me reeling earlier in the year. Along with my Mom becoming critically ill directly after his loss, a puppy was probably not the best idea. But with 2 medically challenged dogs and only Piper in training, it was indeed time. I kept telling the hubby, if there wasn't a puppy there that we liked, we'd pass on the litter and wait until another time. We made the 6 hour drive to Lake Ariel, PA to see the boys that were left. Linda had chosen her stud fee pick a few days earlier. Good thing too, because I had my eye on that handsome blue merle boy now known as Dandy. I now find it amazing that I really had not looked much at the only tri in the litter when Terri sent updates and pics. I was hoping that the B/W boy would be the one for us if we couldn't have the merle with the black leg. Maybe because of just losing Duncan... also a B/W, I thought that he was the one for us. But as I sat on Terri's kitchen floor with each of the 3 remaining boys, one at a time, I kept going back to the white factored tri boy with the engaging personality. Although the litter was very balanced and even, the other blue merle boy was more interested in my hubby. He was a no... The B/W boy would not engage toys and was very food motivated. That has its place, but I needed a puppy who liked both food and toys. The little tri boy had also taken a liking to me and I guess you could say he chose me. He was the one.

I can't say that he has been easy. There have been many challenges along the way with him. But he is such a steady presence now, that the hard stuff is easily forgotten. Life is a game to him. He is a happy go-lucky character with an amazing sense of humor. Agility is a game, nothing more, nothing less. He approaches it as such, with a lighthearted attitude and sense of fun. Too much fun sometimes, but he is a joy to run. He has been carried off, all 47 pounds of him, three times in his agility career. All three times for clowning above and beyond. He couldn't believe that I would actually do it... each time. He doesn't like to be wrong, but he does like to have fun. He approaches every course with joyous abandon. I love it!

As easy-going as he is in most things in his life, his stockwork is taken very seriously. He has power, presence and talent galore. If he was in someone else's hands, he would be running Open at USBCHA trials by now, but he's stuck with me. I don't think he minds. We get to lessons once, maybe twice a month if we're lucky. Progress has been slow, but we are at least out there trying. He received his PT at the BCSA National Specialty in 2009, which to most working people, means nothing. But it was a nice accomplishment for Seeker, Piper and Ceilidh too. We keep hoping to find some sheep near to work so that we can actually make some progress and lessons can be lessons rather repetitive sessions where we spin our wheels. His instructor felt that he had enough talent and presence to use him for stud. He became a first time Dad on March 29, 2011 after he was bred to my instructor's smooth coat B/W bitch Pip. The "Magnificent 7" are just that... 4 girls and 3 boys. Four of them went to performance homes, 3 in OH and 1 in PA. One of the boys is going to be a companion for a man in Philadelphia that owns a construction business. And two of them have yet to find their forever homes. Fingers crossed that they do.


Photo by Tien Tran

Seeker currently has 35 titles to his name in 3 different venues... Agility, Herding and Rally. I haven't been brave enough to take him off lead to do Rally Advanced yet. I'm sure the clown side of him will kick in high gear and he will leave me in the dust at the beginning of the course. I'd like to get him back into obedience class and get at least his CD too. But for now, agility and herding are his favorite activities and I'm okay with that. Besides his other activities, he took over Gage's Read To Me position at a local elementary school. He had big pawprints to fill as he was working with Gage's kids, but he has done a wonderful job with his usual flair for fun. The kids love him as much as they did Gage. And I'm sure Gage is grinning down at his young protege approvingly. He and Gage had a connection which few could understand. But I knew and understood their bond. Seeker was Gage's buddy and protector. Seeker once stopped Gage from tumbling down the upstairs steps when Gage lost his balance. Seeker barrelled down the steps and pinned Gage against the wall until he regained his balance. Then, step by step, Seeker helped Gage down the rest of the way. If I hadn't witnessed it, I wouldn't have believed it. But that's the kind of dog Seeker is... a leader, a guardian, a protector, a clown, a gentleman and a wonderful example of what a Border Collie should be. I am blessed to be in his life. And I can't wait for more adventures with him!














No comments:

Post a Comment