Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Meet Piper!

This is my amazing Piper... I can't tell you enough how much I love and admire this handsome boy. His intensity and focus, along with his sweet disposition, make for a wonderful combination. Although he wishes he was an only child. Unfortunately for him, he came into the wrong household for that. Which is why he has been rather put out by the newest addition with the razor-sharp teeth. "His Nibs" as we fondly call him, is not a fan of puppies, whether they be boys or girls. He is not amused by the endless energy, jumping in his face and generally invading his personal space. But as Gem grows and the puppy teeth are replaced by adult teeth, he will become more tolerant. Gem has already felt his wrath with a sharp correction made by him for her jumping in his face yesterday. He gave me an apologetic look as if to say "You know she had it coming Mom". And in all honesty, she did. He left her alone then as she did him. Smart girl... Piper was bred by Cheryl Jagger Williams out of her Andy and Maggie... a multiple repeat breeding with pups doing wonderfully in various venues.

Piper is a star and he'll be the first one to tell you so, after me of course. I couldn't have been more proud of him at the AKC Nationals. Although we didn't make it into the Challenger or Final Rounds, I thought 2 clean runs out of 3 was pretty darn good. His times weren't blistering, but they were consistent. I can see his 8 years on Earth beginning to catch up to him. But since we aren't headed for World Team try-outs, that's okay with me. We still have plenty of agility to accomplish, including those last 9 QQs for his MACH and his last 40 points in Regular Elite for his ASCA ATCH. In truth, all I really care about is that he has a grand time running. It doesn't matter whether we Q or not, each run is a gift.

He is the first dog that I have trained in agility to this level. Something I never thought I would do. He has forgiven me all of my mistakes, will give me what-for on the course should I be wrong or late with direction, but overall, he cuts me a break... for the most part. I am and always will be a work in progress as a handler and trainer. Each dog teaches you something and I believe each one comes into our lives for a purpose. Piper has been a patient teacher and taught me to truly love and enjoy agility, almost as much as he does. There's no denying his enthusiasm for the game when he walks into a building and greets everyone with his normal "WooWoo, I have arrived". I am truly blessed to be his partner and I love him beyond words. Thank you Piper for the journey... We still have miles to cover... Courses to run.... Fun to have... And lessons to learn... And I'm so glad I'm doing it with you... 66 titles and counting... <3<3<3

No comments:

Post a Comment