Tuesday, January 3, 2012

And the serious journey begins...

Seeker wearing... photo by Megan Quigley
Seeker is now 5 years old. He was introduced to sheep at 11 months of age and I have toyed around with it for too long now. Because I can't afford and really aren't willing to send him away to be trained by someone else, it is a much longer process. Much longer...

Lessons are almost 2 hours away in Bedford, PA. Going generally shoots my day most of the time. I wish there were options closer, but there isn't. Other options are further... Much further... like 4 hours away. Not an option to do on any regular basis. Agility and other sports are much more accessible for sure, but not more gratifying for me. I love being outside, in the snow, cold, rain, heat, sun, wind, whatever, doing what the Border Collie does best, working livestock. There is nothing more exhilarating for me than sending a dog silently on his outrun with a wave of my hand. I love watching their innate talent come alive. There is nothing more awe-inspiring.

I started my journey in Border Collies 24 years ago with Kastle. From working lines, he was a tough dog to train for a beginner. He was pushy and strong, not exactly the most biddable on sheep. In other dog sports, he was a genius... More, higher, faster were all of his mottos. Not very appropriate for livestock... Zoe came next... easier, more biddable and a natural talent. She taught me so much... and she gave me time to learn about watching and learning sheep... how they move, why they move, where they feel pressure, when they are most likely to be cooperative. She loved real farm work. I so miss those days and having my friend Alison as a trainer and mentor. A senseless death, which that story is for another time.

Recently, I decided to stop taking Piper and Ceilidh to lessons. Why? Because God bless my Piper, but he has no power and the stock have no respect for him. And Ceilidh? Because her medical issues are many and the spondylosis in her spine and arthritis in her feet have made it difficult for her to take the varying temperatures and terrain. So now I make the trip as often as I can with Seeker and young Gem. They are my focus for this journey.

Seeker is back on a long line, learning the rules once and for all. He is not to dive in, he is not to circle aimlessly, he is to lie down when asked. He has gotten away with naughtiness once too often and he thought that was the norm I'm afraid. After a particularly bad lesson, my instructor turned to me and said "We can't ever let him get away with that again." And we haven't... Since that day, he has been on the long line, kept in check in the round pen and is working at a proper distance and with obedience. He is widening himself  on his outruns when I ask him to and walks up quietly without busting sheep all over creation. Good boy... If he continues to progress, he will get out of the round pen, but not off the line for a time yet.

I have learned that I need to take command, be purposeful, quiet and direct with him. If I don't get flustered, neither does he. If he even thinks a naughty thought, I remove him before he has a chance to make a mistake and blow weeks of work. He gets put away for a time to think about the lesson while I work with Gem. Then I bring him back, usually in a better frame of mind, with the lesson in mind.

Gem is different. She is sticky and my goal is to keep her moving with short sessions. I actually WANT her to be a little naughty and have fun. She is far too serious at times and I know that if she gives too much ground at this age, she will only get wider as she grows up. Not what I want... We keep her sessions lively, active and short.

My goals for these two are the same, but with a different time table. I am hoping to have Seeker running in Novice/Novice by this summer, if the weather holds and I can continue my trek up the mountain. I want both of them running confidently at whatever level they are ready for by the BCSA National Specialty in October 2012. The journey has truly begun and I can't wait for the next chapter...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can reach those goals, but you will have to be committed to training for them...at least as committed as you are to agility, and take advantage of training opportunities that present themselves whenever you can make them happen. I'm pulling for you! :)

    (I don't know how to edit a typo without deleting the entire comment.)

    ReplyDelete