Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Going it alone...

Piper at AKC Nationals by Great Dane Photos
After several years of taking agility classes, I recently made the difficult decision to stop for awhile. At first, I thought I was crazy... but now I have gotten into a rhythm of working with the boys on things that I know I need to work on.... rear crosses, back sides of jumps, threadles, complicated jumping sequences, blind crosses, wraps and just about everything and anything challenging I can dream up. I finally feel comfortable enough as a handler and trainer to go it alone for now. I have found a new freedom in planning my own training sessions. And I think the boys are blossoming under this new twist in their training lives. I am constantly challenging and pushing myself and them during our sessions. I want to continue to grow as a handler and trainer and I truly believe that this is a step in the right direction for us. I will still do occasional private lessons from those wiser and more experienced than me, but for now I am content to strike out on my own and take no classes and see the effect that has on me, the boys and our teamwork.  Soon enough, Gem will benefit from a class environment and I will go back, at least with her. But I am enjoying this time with the boys and taking this particular journey with them, wherever it may lead...

No comments:

Post a Comment