Saturday, January 26, 2013

Gem is learning!

Gem is learning every day. She is really a joy to work with and I am happy she is so willing to learn new things. When she was younger, I made the mistake of pushing her too hard, too fast. This shut her down. It made her tune me out and disconnect from me when I attempted to train her. She is not the either of the boys. She is a different personality and temperament. She is soft and easily frustrated. Although Piper is soft, he readily tries and offers behaviors and keeps on trying. Gem did not. If she was wrong, she stopped trying and disconnected. Most of it I caused. Some of it was just her personality. So I have continually worked on bettering our relationship and teaching myself to tune in to her and how she learns. This has truly been successful. While we certainly aren't ready for any type of competition, we are working on solidifying our relationship and teamwork. I hope that when we are ready, that curve will not happen because we will already be a team.
 
She is soft and quite the little perfectionist. She wants to be right. I have worked on instilling in her, that it's okay to TRY. The world won't come to an end if she isn't right. This process is slow. We are taking the proverbial baby steps. If she is incorrect and offers other behaviors, she is encouraged and we party when she hits the right one. She thinks this is just great! How do I know that what I am doing is working? The little video I have attached is proof. Her willingness, wagging tail, treat eating and happy attitude is proof that I am on the right track.
 
Every day is a new adventure. While other people with dogs much younger than her are already competing, we are not and we won't be ready any time soon. It is up to me to be patient. I am in no hurry. Good things come to those that wait and she is definitely a very good thing...


No comments:

Post a Comment