Saturday, October 12, 2013

Meltdowns... and where to go from here...

This is the second weekend that Gem has had a major meltdown doing agility. It happened a few weeks ago at a USDAA trial and it happened again today at an ASCA trial. My goals have been simple for her... keep her happy, in the ring and do a few things she know how to do in a competition environment. Her debut in a few weeks ago in CPE was awesome. She was happy, even qualified a few runs in Level 1 and seemed to really enjoy herself. It encouraged me enough to put her in a few classes at a local USDAA trial. She had a meltdown in the gamblers ring, startled at the bar setters and judge, tucked her tail and laid back her ears. She didn't get much better the next day.

We are still in class and she seems to be fine there, working happily and enjoying herself. Today, I put her into an ASCA trial in Novice. She completely fell apart. She was stressed and worried. I wanted her to just get some mileage and have some fun as I can train in ASCA, unlike other venues. In gamblers, she was worried, disconnected and left me. I ran to the back of the ring and she chased me. She did do a few obstacles and then we left. She repeated this in the 2nd round. When it was time for her next turn, she completely freaked out. I am still at a loss as to why. She wouldn't come to me, left the ring and even tried to get out of the facility. This is devastating to me. She didn't trust me enough to come to me when she was worried and scared. She just about got out of the door and in my opinion, she would have been gone. It makes me sick thinking about it.

I packed up and brought her home. She was happy and relaxed once at home. So now what happens? Well, I'm just not sure. I have decided to remove her from class for now. I started teaching her some nosework today.  She seemed to have a good time with that. For now, it will be something fun for her to do with me. I don't want her to be unhappy. I want her to LOVE whatever she does with me. If it means not doing agility, then so be it. Only time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment