Monday, October 28, 2013

The Big Show... part 2

The Tennessee Miller Coliseum and surrounding property was a beautiful back drop for the 2013 Cynosport World Games. The 5 rings were inside, 3 in climate control, 2 without. Who would think that we would get 20 degree temps in Tennessee in October? We had 50-60 degree days and a few nights in the 20s. Made those crack of early walk thrus a bit challenging. All in all, it was a good experience. There were a few negatives, including the lack of security around the crating areas and getting in to the exhibitor areas. Sometimes they checked for wristbands. Most times they did not. The stalls were cold and the boys spent most of the time in the van, where it was warm. Even with BOT coats and Foggy Mountain coats, the mornings were too cold for even those two hairballs in the stall. The good thing was that parking was decently close so working from the van was doable.

I was fortunate that I spent most of my runs in the climate controlled rings, but I did have several runs in the ice box/rain forest. It was very cold and with that came frost, which melted and dripped onto everyone and everything in those rings as the day warmed. Red mud puddles were everywhere, including in the rings. The dirt along the edges was also softer and deeper which caused problems for some of the dogs. All in all though, the rings were well maintained, dragged each night by tractors, and SO much better than Kentucky in 2010. However, with the amount of entries, 6 rings were needed as the days were very long with walking before 7am for some and not running until after 6pm. I was lucky. My longest day was walking before 7am and running around 4pm or so. I think that it is time for USDAA to limit entries, requiring that anyone attending has to qualify in everything... Grand Prix, Steeplechase, Biathlon and Team. If they can't have another ring, at least at this site, then something needs to be done. Not many felt like staying to watch the evenings festivities when they had been up since 4am. We did enjoy the on-site dinners though. They were good, filling and fun with live bands the nights they were offered. Of course, Piper and I had a blast dancing to Orange Blossom Special before Performance Grand Prix finals.

On to the boys... Well, warm-ups started out well with both of them. Piper missed his weave poles, but still managed to run well enough to earn us a free month on USDAA's Data Services. Seeker ran clean, but not fast enough in the HUGE 22" class to earn anything. Seeker's Grand Prix and Steeplechase quarterfinals runs were a disaster. He missed a jump in GP, then blew the A-frame. In Steeplechase, he blew the A-frame again. I think the 5'9" height was bothering his leg, because missing the contact is very uncharacteristic of him. He ran Team Jumpers cleanly, but again, not fast enough to make the cut-off. He also managed 47 points in Team Snooker, just missing 7 on the closing. Gamblers didn't go as well, but he put points on the board, 30 to be exact, but again he blew his A-frame and dropped a bar in the gamble, ending his time. In Team Standard, he ran cleanly again, but well off the times of the top dogs. I enforced his A-frame and he did an awesome job with the entire run. I am proud of his Master Challenge Jumpers run, even though we didn't Q, he gave me some nice work. The mistakes were mine, except the dropped bar, but he tried and listened very well. We didn't stay for Master Challenge Standard on Sunday, as you needed to Q in both for Biathlon.

Piper... what can I say. He put up a 1st place score in 16" Veterans Gamblers earning a rosette. In Snooker, I had a momentary stupid moment and cost us 1st place there. He was the only Vet to attempt 4 reds and we HAD it, but I sent him over a wrong jump to end our turn with only 27 points. In Jumpers, we imploded. The course was ridiculously unfair, in my opinion, and there were MANY Es for the Vets and Performance dogs. Piper missed his weave entrance, then got worried. I had to seriously micromanage another part of the course which worried him more, and he just lost connection with me for an off-course and an E after that. One mistake that we couldn't afford as the scores for the 16" Vets were very tight. We did have a beautiful Standard run, earning another 1st place rosette. Unfortunately, the mistakes I made cost us getting into the Showcase. The dogs that were slower made it in and although I was happy for them, I wished we had made it there. Piper deserved it, even if I didn't.

It was a LONG week. Every time I attend one of these events, many lessons hit home with me. The folks that are the most competitive and do all the winning are mostly those that do this for a living as instructors/owners of their own schools, etc. I don't have equipment other than a few jumps and weave poles. I don't have the room for more. I have a job which sorely cuts into my training and trialing time. I have to drive somewhere to do any serious training. I am far from perfect as a handler, but I am proud of the progress I have made. I will never be on the World Team. I don't always handle pressure as well as I wish I could. However, the one thing I do know is that my dogs will always leave the ring happy and that they don't really care about ribbons or titles. They only want to spend time with me. There is only the pressure I put on myself that takes the fun out of this game. I've gotten better at letting things go and seeing this for what it is... a game. I don't make my living at it, although I wish I could. I am an average handler with GREAT dogs, in my eyes if no other. All that really matters is that we have FUN, spending time together doing something that makes us happy. As cliché as it sounds, it really IS all about the journey. Where will yours take you and your best friend?

2 comments:

  1. I was glad to get to meet you in person! I hope you had some fun at the event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete