Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Big Show... part 1

Soon we are leaving to attend and compete at the 2013 Cynosport World Games which is the USDAA's Nationals. It isn't just a National, it is a sort of International with competitors from Hungary, Japan, Puerto Rico and Mexico as well as the USA. This is the 3rd time that the boys have qualified to go. This is the 2nd time we are going. Seeker is on a team and we are also trying to get past quarterfinals in Grand Prix and Steeplechase. He is also in the Biathlon, which consists of Master Challenge Jumpers and Master Challenge Standard. Realistically, Seeker probably won't make it into the semis in anything. He is consistent, but not fast. He is still nursing a collateral ligament injury to his left rear leg. No delusions of grandeur for us in team, but I am looking forward to having some fun and running with my teammates.

 Piper is competing in the Veterans All Around. He does the team classes at his Veterans height. We are competing for a shot at the Veterans Showcase, where they take the top 3 dogs from each Veterans jump height. There are 7 Veterans in Piper's 16" class. My hopes are high that we can make it into the Showcase. He is coming off a pulled right illiapsoas. In truth, it isn't up to him as much as me and whether or not I can hold it together, be where I need to be and support him. He is a very honest dog. He does what I tell him to do. It's all on me. Gulp...

If I could have, I would bubble wrap them both until we leave. I pulled them from multiple trials due to the injuries. I jokingly DID wrap them in bubble wrap for a photo op. They were not amused. I did  release them from house arrest a few days ago and did let them run agility. They were both higher than a kite, but they did well. I, on the other hand, sucked. Not having run agility for several weeks has taken a toll on my timing. I am glad that we have a warm-up run at Cynosport.

This is a HUGE trial... 800 exhibitors, 1100 dogs, with around 9000 runs over 5 days. I believe they said that is the highest attended in the history of the event. It will be a LONG week. Some of my walk thrus are at the crack of early and the run times are hours later. I will spend a great deal of time watching the ring, remembering what I walked before we get our turn. It is nerve-wracking and even though I've done it before, it still worries me. Gingko Biloba anyone??

This is the last National competition for the boys most likely. We are planning on making it memorable and having a blast. I am looking forward to seeing some of the best dogs in the world running agility. What could be better than spending time doing what you love to do with the most wonderful creatures in the world? I love my dogs to the moon and back.

My goals for this competition? For both boys, NO Es!! I want to be able to put up a score in each round. I would like to get Seeker into semifinals for both Steeplechase and Grand Prix. There is a very slim chance of that given the caliber of dogs in the 22" class. I would also like to make it through his Master Challenge rounds cleanly and under time for biathlon. So my advice to myself with both boys is JUST RUN! The other advice is to always remember that it's ALL about stepping to the line with my boys, not crossing over it victorious over others...
Seeker by Tien Tran
More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment