Thursday, April 21, 2011

The grandpuppies and other musings...

Well, Seeker has done his parents proud, both human and canine, with the arrival of 7 beautiful puppies... 4 girls and 3 boys. I have dubbed them "The Magnificent 7" and that they are. At this point, 5 of them are going to performance homes, mainly agility, with 2 of the boys left. I have to say that I love each and everyone of them and it is truly a lovely, balanced litter. Coat type is still up in the air for a few more weeks, but no one seems to care much about rough or smooth, which is wonderful. You can absolutely limit yourself if you ONLY want a rough or a smooth and miss out on a great puppy. I have to say that I am partial to fur, but the smooths have grown on me since Seeker's breeding to sweet, smooth girl Pip.

Many people are curious as to why I opted to not keep a puppy from this breeding. Well that is easily explained. I had been watching another breeding with amazing parents before this opportunity presented itself. Our upcoming addition, Handhills Jewel, aka Gem is of a breeding that I couldn't pass up. As this is Hanna's last litter, I had to make a decision. Keeping one of Seeker's puppies was not on my radar at this time. Seeker is young and honestly I just wasn't ready to keep a pup from him to continue the legacy. That however doesn't mean that I wouldn't have if the circumstances would have been different. If Hanna had 7 boys and 1 girl instead of what she had (7 girls and 1 boy), then a daughter from Seeker would have been in the offing. But with the arrival of Gem, I have options... Options are good.

After having 3 adult BCs in the house for the last year, adding Gem will be a challenge. Piper is not known for his tolerance of puppies, just ask Seeker who still bears the scar on his lip. Piper sent out memos about Seeker on an hourly basis, I swear for the first year of Seeker's life with us. I'm hoping that Gem, being a girl, will make Piper more tolerant. Piper would like to be an only child, but that isn't happening. Ceilidh? Well, that's a crapshoot at the moment. She loved Seeker, but he's a boy. I don't look for her to make issues, especially if Gem is appropriate with adult dogs, which I know she is. As for Seeker, he LOVES puppies... any kind of puppy. Some people find that odd for an adult, intact male. I just find that so Seeker...

What's wonderful about the grandpuppies is that they are a legacy... of Meg, of Token, of Seeker... I'll be able to keep an eye on 4 of them. Three will be in OH and one will be near in PA. Their futures are an open book with so much promise. One, Karen's black and white girl, already has a name... Brenna. It means brave in Gaelic. Only time will tell what they will bloom and grow to be. It's all so exciting and awesome! I can't wait to see what the future holds!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment