Monday, April 4, 2011

Reflections...

So the AKC National Agility Championships are over... I have to say it was great fun! Even though my primary venues have been USDAA and ASCA over the last several years, I had a blast at this AKC event. While people could be a little over zealous and some could be down right nasty, for the most part, it was a pleasant experience. Listen, if you don't pay your bills by teaching agility, LIGHTEN UP! This isn't neurosurgery, it's a sport to do with your dog for FUN! Okay, enough said about that...

The venue had much to be desired and I plan on sending AKC a nice email asking for my $100 stall fee back. It was like a meat locker in the barns and we never did put the dogs in there. Working out of the van was a bit prohibitive, but that's what was best for us and the dogs. We were in the better arena, with the worst footing, but the food was good and the prices were reasonable too, unlike the Expo in Louisville, KY. There the food was too expensive and heavy for running agility... One day of pulled pork for lunch and that was the last mistake I made. A trip to Wal-Mart remedied that. Shopping was wonderful and I'm sure I spent too much money. But, it was worth it. :-)

The courses were challenging, but fair, as was the judging. There was some whining... there's always some whining by somebody, but overall I didn't really hear anything negative about the courses being for "little dogs" or "big dogs". There were traps, but the courses weren't de-motivating and most dogs seemed to be joyously running with their handlers. Isn't that the point?

So I'm hoping that the National remains this direction for one more year. Like USDAA, there are some growing pains to be worked out at a new facility. But all in all, it was a fun weekend spent running with my buddy Piper. What more could I ask? Oh yeah... qualifying Seeker too.

1 comment: